High School Courses and Scheduling Information
2017–2018 AP® Handbook [PDF]
2017–2018 Course Election Catalog [PDF] –Coming Soon
GCA Electives Request Policy
All elective choices must be made one time in the course registration portal in Infinite Campus. A call or email to a counselor will not be accepted in lieu of elective selections being made in Infinite Campus. Choose elective classes carefully and remember that every attempt is made to accommodate students' first choices, but due to scheduling needs, this will not always be possible. Therefore, please ensure that all choices including alternates are courses in which you would like to enroll. If a student accurately completed the course selection process in Infinite Campus with alternates chosen and did not receive one of the selected course options, then the student may be eligible for a schedule change.
AP® Election Options
GCA's Advanced Placement® (AP®) curriculum offers a challenging program for all students. Recent studies have shown that the rigor of a student's high school curriculum is the single best predictor of success in college. In order to gain the proper benefits of the AP® curriculum, a full yearlong commitment to the AP® course(s) is required.
Students have two weeks from the date of enrollment in a course to request withdrawal from the course. After the two-week period, students may not withdraw from an AP® course. In rare and extenuating circumstances, where conditions are beyond the student's control, requests for withdrawal may possibly be approved with administrative authorization from the GCA Director of Guidance and Counseling. Requests for withdrawal from an AP® course must be submitted in writing to the assigned counselor and may only be granted for the following reasons:
- Severe health conditions that affect the student's ability to satisfactorily complete the course.
- The death of a family member that has significantly impacted a student's ability to satisfactorily complete the course.
- A natural disaster or similar events that have significantly impacted a student's ability to satisfactorily complete the course.
- Other good cause as determined by the Director of Guidance and Counseling.
AP® courses require students be approved for the course.
GCA's credit recovery courses allow students who previously failed a required course to earn credit based on competency of the content standards through completion of required modules. Coursework is self-paced because students have previously been exposed to the curriculum and content of the class. It is extremely important that students are actively working and attending all live sessions in these credit recovery courses in order to finish by the deadline. Students must take the Georgia Milestones EOCT (End of Course Test) to earn credit for all credit recovery courses.
Counselors refer students for credit recovery based on the student's Individualized Learning Plan (ILP). Learning Coaches and students may also request credit recovery. Please contact your counselor for additional information on credit recovery.
Students are registered for classes every spring by the counseling staff, based on a teacher recommendation for each course and a student selected electives survey. English, math, science, and social studies will be entered into Infinite Campus based on your student's previous academic placement. Please note, courses that are entered into Infinite Campus by the academic teacher/counselor cannot be changed by the student or parent through the portal. If after reviewing your child's academic schedule, you feel that a schedule modification is necessary you can complete the 2017–2018 Schedule Change Request Form.
Logging in to the Portal
- From the portal login screen (https://gacyber.infinitecampus.org/campus/gacyber.jsp), enter your Username and Password. If you did not have an account previously, one has been created for you. Contact your homeroom teacher for account information.
- Click the Login. This will bring the user to the main portal page where district and school notices will be listed. Use the Change Account Info in the Index and follow the instructions provided.
Selecting Your Pathway**
- Once logged in to the portal, you'll have an option in the middle of the screen to view your Inbox.
- The line that says Survey is just an "email" to let you know you need to take the survey.
- The actual survey is entitled Pathway Choice.
- Click Pathway Choice and follow the on-screen directions for completing the 1–2 minute survey.
- Click the Course Registration 17–18 GCA 9–12 option from the navigation pane on the left of your screen.
- Any required requests that have been established and already inputted by school counselors and/or administrators will be listed in the Required Courses. Students cannot change any required requests listed for them.
- Students can only request elected requests (listed under the Requested Courses list) or alternate requests.
- Click the Course Search. A search screen will appear.
- Courses can be searched by the course name or by the course number. Enter either the Course Name (e.g., English) or Course Number (e.g., 2121).
- Click the Go. Matching course names will appear to the right.
- Click on any course listed to view the course description.
- To request this course as part of the schedule for next year, click the Request this Course. Courses can also be requested as alternates by clicking the Request as an Alternate button. This course would be placed on the request list. It is not a guarantee the course will be on the schedule.
- When finished requesting courses, click the Print Request Summary option to print a report of the courses that were requested
**Mandatory steps that must be completed.