Middle School Math
"It's not that I'm so smart; it's just that I stay with problems longer." – Albert Einstein
"Mathematics is not about numbers, equations, computations, or algorithms: it is about understanding." – William Paul Thurston
Middle School Math Staff
Math Chairperson: Kelly Brooks
The Middle School Math Model
- Combines K12 curriculum and state standards expectations.
- Prepares students for state testing but more importantly for the following school year.
- Starts with the K12 curriculum (the OMS) and aligns it to the Georgia Standards of Excellence (GSE).
- The OMS calendar is provided as a view of all assignments students need to complete in each of their subject areas in the OMS.
Class Connect Sessions
- Take place LIVE.
- Math general education Class Connects (CCs) are Tuesdays through Fridays from 8:30–9:45 AM.
- Math ALP classes will vary; refer to your syllabus.
- W.I.N (What I Need) classes are small group sessions that address students' weaknesses in the standards or extend understanding to those who need it.
- Links are accessible on the student and LC OMS.
- Recordings links replace the LIVE link once each session is completed.
- Provide instruction on ALL GSE standards.
- Provide students with opportunities to ask questions and receive additional assistance and assignments, which will allow for adequate practice of the skills.
- Provide best practices—higher level questioning techniques, problem-solving strategies, etc.
- Allow for student interaction, team experiences, small group problem solving, etc.
How Class Connect Sessions Help
- Class Connects (CCs) can be attended live or listened to as a recording.
- CCs ensure that students have been exposed to all necessary content, so they are prepared for both the GA Milestone and the following school year.
- Data shows that last year's CCs made a difference in the students' mastery of the standards, thus, affecting GA Milestone scores and their prep for the following year.
- But, it's not just about the scores. It's about providing a best practices learning environment for our GCA students. It's about challenging them.