Strong Start Steps to Success
Step 3: Learning Coach Prep Academy
Your role as a Learning Coach is essential to the success of your student. Learning Coach Prep Academy will provide you with a deeper understanding of the role and responsibilities of a Learning Coach.
To ensure you receive the necessary information to be a successful Learning Coach, complete Learning Coach Prep Academy by following these steps:
1. Watch the six training videos embedded on this page:
Video 1: GCA Overview
Video 2: Learning Coach & Student Success
Video 3: Class Connects & Blackboard Collaborate
Video 4: School Navigation
Video 5: Attendance
Video 6: Resources
2. Attend a live Virtual School 101 Session.
3. Complete the "Learning Coach Prep" survey given during the Virtual School 101 Session.
- How to Be a Successful Learning Coach
- How to Be a Successful Student
- Basic Materials Needed for Success
- Setting Up Effective Work Spaces
- Identification Numbers and Where to Find Them
- How We Provide School to Home Communication
- A Day in the Life of a Virtual School Family
- Learning Coach Roles & Responsibilities Guide [PDF]
- Effective Learning Spaces Guide [PDF]
- What is Class Connect?
- Navigating Blackboard Collaborate
- Online Elementary School Navigation
- Logging In to the Online School (OLS)
- Learning Coach Landing Page
- Online School Home Page
- Monthly Instructional Calendar
- How to Access Lessons
- How to Check Progress
The purpose of the Virtual School 101 session is to welcome you to our school and to make sure you have the necessary tools for being a successful Learning Coach. During this live session, you will have an opportunity to interact with Family Engagement and other Learning Coaches. This session will briefly review information included in the Learning Coach Prep Academy training videos, which will strengthen your understanding of how to be a successful Learning Coach. This session will be held in a Blackboard Collaborate classroom that you will access from your computer. Before you attend this session, please make sure you have installed Blackboard Collaborate on your computer. You will need to log in to your Learning Coach account in the Online School. Please watch the video below for instructions.
You only need to attend one session.
During the session, you will be given a survey to complete. Following completion of this survey, you will be on your way to exiting Strong Start and beginning the 2017–2018 school year.
After Strong Start is completed, you will receive an email from your Strong Start Specialist. During the first part of the school year, you'll also receive Learning Coach Certification from your Family Engagement Coordinator. This certificate will celebrate your understanding of how to be a successful Learning Coach. We look forward to seeing you at the Virtual School 101 session!
Why is my student's Online School (OLS) account locked?
Don't worry. New student accounts may be locked until Strong Start is completed. You will receive an email from your Strong Start Specialist once all required Strong Start items are complete. Accounts will be unlocked within 48 hours of receiving the completion email from your Strong Start Specialist. If you have received the Strong Start Completion email and the 48-hour time frame has passed; but your account is still locked, please contact your Strong Start Specialist.
Visit Strong Start FAQs
End of "Step 3: Learning Coach Prep Academy"
Continue to "Step 4: Get Connected"