Parent Volunteer Policy
General Volunteer Guidelines
Parent leadership is successfully achieved when parents and educational professionals build effective partnerships and share responsibilities, expertise, and leadership in decisions being made that affect student success, families, and communities. GCA parents and learning coaches have many opportunities to participate in this program including regional volunteer opportunities, GCA PTSO committees, academic student support, state-wide testing, and more.
Parent Leadership is a way to involve parents in the experiences of their children and to take an active interest in student success. The Volunteer Program also helps increase community engagement and academic achievement.
Parents and Learning Coaches wishing to volunteer as a Parent Leader, should email Veronica Okpani, Family Engagement Coordinator (firstname.lastname@example.org) and/or complete the Volunteer Interest Form.
A Volunteer is a Parent Leader who:
- Assists and coordinates with GCA staff as well as GCA Parents and Families
- Communicates and serves as a resource for other Learning Coaches
- Represents GCA in a positive light to Learning Coaches, GCA staff, and 3rd party partners
- Builds ties and relationships between Learning Coaches, and GCA staff, and 3rd party partners
- Participates in Mandated Reporter Training
- By Georgia law (O.C.G.A. §19-7-5), helps ensure the protection and well-being of students by serving as a mandated reporter by immediately reporting any suspicion of child abuse or neglect to the relevant authorities. Volunteer is required to participate in mandated reporter training before start of volunteer assignment.
- To receive information about Mandated Reporter Training, please email Veronica Okpani, Family Engagement Coordinator (email@example.com)
Confidentiality- Volunteers must protect the students’ and teachers’ right to privacy
Professionalism- Although the job is voluntary, the commitment is professional
Physical Contact- Students become attached to staff and volunteers but physical affection should be used cautiously
Dependability & Punctuality- Students, teachers and staff members rely on the services performed by volunteers
The GCA PTSO Volunteer Committee Chair coordinates with the GCA PTSO School Representative and the GCA Family Engagement Team to contact interested volunteers.
The Family Engagement Team provides a list of requirements, training, and agreement (form requiring “I Understand” statements, signature, and background check as required) to Volunteers.