GCA participates in the education of homeless students by providing specific support and supplies to help with their education. A “homeless” student is any student who lacks a fixed, regular, and adequate nighttime residence. This could mean that a child is sharing the housing of other persons due to loss of housing or economic hardship; is living in motels, etc. due to the lack of alternative accommodations; is living in emergency or transitional shelters; or is awaiting foster care placement. If you are currently experiencing homelessness and are in need of assistance, please contact Barbara Stevens, our Family Resource Coordinator and Homeless/Migrant Liaison at email@example.com
Definition of Homeless Children and Youth
Georgia Cyber Academy (GCA) adopts the federal definition of homeless children and youth as defined in The McKinney-Vento Homeless Education Act. Under The McKinney-Vento Homeless Education Act, homeless children and youth are defined as individuals who lack a fixed, regular, and adequate nighttime residence.
Homeless Children and Youth:
- Are temporarily sharing the housing of other persons due to loss of housing, economic hardship, or a similar reason
- Are living in motels, hotels, or camping grounds due to the lack of alternative adequate accommodations
- Are living in emergency shelters
- Are abandoned in hospitals
- Have a nighttime residence that is a public or private place not designed for or ordinarily used as a regular sleeping accommodation for human beings
- Are living in cars, parks, public spaces, abandoned buildings, substandard housing, bus or train stations, or similar settings
- Are runaway children or children who are abandoned
Migratory children and unaccompanied youth (youth not in the physical custody of a parent or guardian) may be considered homeless if they meet the above definitions. Homeless status is determined in cooperation with the parents. In the case of unaccompanied youth, homeless status is determined in cooperation with the unaccompanied youth and the local educational agency/district liaison.