Per the handbook, families are instructed to contact their Family Support Liaison (or the Homeless Liaison directly) if they are homeless. In addition, information concerning homeless education is sent out in the GCA Monthly Parent Newsletter. When necessary, teachers refer students to the Homeless Liaison through GCA’s internal data system (Infinite Campus). The Homeless Liaison/School Social Worker reviews the homeless students list and addresses any homeless student needs. The School Social Worker works very closely with teachers to ensure accommodations are made to address the student’s homeless status (extra support, extended deadlines, transportation to testing, etc.). Also, as needed, the Homeless Liaison will meet with the Business Manager and the Title I director to follow up on any additional services that may be requested. All GCA parents are notified of the McKinney Vento Homeless Education Services in the parent handbook, which is sent out at the beginning of the school year. In addition, this information is placed in the Monthly Parent Newsletter and on the GCA website for families.
Written notice will be provided to homeless youth and their families when enrollment and continuation of a homeless child or youth in the school of origin is not feasible. If a dispute arises due to the determination, the following process must be used:
Level I Appeal – Homeless Liaison:
- The parent or unaccompanied youth may file a request for dispute resolution with the district Homeless Liaison by submitting a request for appeal in writing via email or completing the Dispute Resolution Form.
- Within one business day, the Homeless Liaison will consider all documentation and make a determination regarding the appeal. The Homeless Liaison will notify the parent or guardian of the determination in writing.
Level II Appeal – Head of School or designee:
- The parent or unaccompanied youth may appeal the Level I decision to the Head of School, or the Head of School’s designee. (The designee shall be someone other than the district’s Homeless Liaison.) Request for Level II appeal must be submitted in writing or by completing the Dispute Resolution Form.
- The Head of School or designee will provide a decision regarding the Level II appeal in writing to the parent or unaccompanied youth with supporting evidence and reasons within three (3) business days of the Head of School or designee’s receipt of the appeal.
- A copy of the Dispute Resolution Form, along with the written decision made at Level II, is to be shared with the district’s Homeless Liaison.
- If the parent or unaccompanied youth disagrees with the decision made at Level II, the parent or unaccompanied youth shall notify the district’s Homeless Liaison of their intent to proceed to Level III within two (2) business days of the Head of School or designee’s written decision.
Level III Appeal – Georgia Department of Education:
- The District Superintendent or designee should forward all written documentation and related paperwork to the GaDOE Department of Legal Services for review within five (5) business days of being informed that the parent or unaccompanied youth would like to appeal the Level II decision.
- A complaint to GaDOE must be made in one of two ways:
- In writing and signed by the complainant
- Or Submitted electronically through the Department’s online complaint process at:
- Georgia Department of Education Contact:
- Erica Glenn, Grants Program Manager
Phone: 404.651.7555, Fax: 404.344.4526
- Erica Glenn, Grants Program Manager
Non-English Speaking Homeless Youth
Process for Translating to Non-English Speaking Homeless Youth and their Families:
- GCA staff members request a Translator through SharePoint.
- The Title III Coordinator approves the need for an interpreter
- Once approved, GCA staff request the translators through Certified Languages International
- Documents are translated using Google Doc Translation
- GCA also uses the program TransAct to help with communicating with families in their native language.